University Info | Exchange Student Info
Scholarship: Scholarships (RMB 5000 or US $800 each) will be offered to 10 excellent students who submit applications to Xiamen University in time.
- Beautiful Surroundings: Nestling between green hills and blue sea, XMU is renowned as China's most beautiful university.
- Diverse Courses: Besides general courses, XMU also offers a tree-climbing course, diving course, dragon boat course and sailing course. Students can participate in free golf practice in its Xiang’an Campus.
- Academic Strength: XMU's Materials Science, Engineering and Computer Science are ranked among the world's top 1% in ESI.
- Research Facilities: XMU is the first university in mainland China to own a world-class research vessel with independent intellectual property.
- International Perspectives: XMU boasts 3,452 international students from 134 countries.
Xiamen University was founded in 1921 by Mr. Tan Kah Kee, a well-known patriotic overseas Chinese leader, and was the first university to be founded by an overseas Chinese in the history of modern Chinese education.
With a graduate school, 6 academic divisions consisting of 28 schools and colleges with 76 departments, and 14 research institutes, XMU boasts a total enrollment of nearly 40,000 full-time students (including 1,196 international students in degree programs). XMU currently has a faculty of 2,718 full-time teachers and researchers. XMU has entered into partnership agreements with more than 280 universities worldwide and engaged in substantive exchanges and cooperation with over 50 universities ranking among the world’s top 200. It has established 16 Confucius Institutes in collaboration with local universities in 13 countries.
The University has four campuses with a total area of more than 600 hectares, including the Siming campus, the Zhangzhou campus, the Xiang’an campus, and the newly established Malaysia campus. And Xiamen University Malaysia Campus is the first overseas branch campus established by a prestigious Chinese university.
Nestled snugly between green hills and the blue sea, XMU is renowned as China’s "most beautiful university" for its excellent education facilities and beautiful environment.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Students in Electrical and Electronic Engineering accepted. Other majors also accepted depending on course availability.
- Graduate students: Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
Language of Instruction
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Supplemental Internship – Industrial and institute's intern jobs are available locally after the exchange study in XMU is completed.
Academic Calendar (see factsheet) | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: mid-September to late January (please see the Admissions Notice)
- Spring: mid-February to mid-June (please see the Admissions Notice)
- Mechanical & Electrical Engineering (mechanical/grads, electrical/undergrads)
- Materials Science & Engineering (grads)
- Electronic Engineering (undergrads & grads)
- Communication Engineering (grads)
- Intelligent Science & Technology (grads)
- Software Engineering (grads)
- Digital Media Engineering (grads)
View courses taught in English - Fall 2014 and Spring 2015
Workload per Semester
Each student must register for and complete at least 12 credits per semester.
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to Xiamen University also need to complete the following.
For more information, please refer to XMU's Factsheet.
Students will receive their acceptance packet within two months after the complete applications are received.
Rooms with two beds shared by two students will be kept for exchange students without reservation until the end of the registration periods. The estimated room rate ranges from RMB 30 (~US $5) to RMB 75 (~US $12) per night per bed depending on length of accommodation. Off-campus accommodation is also available.
Estimated Cost of Living
There are 8 cafeterias on the XMU main campus, where students can pay their meals (averagely between RMB 12 (~US $2) and RMB 25 (~US $4) for each meal) using their XMU E-cards.
On-campus: RMB 900-1200 (~US $150-200) per bed per month excluding utility fee.
Off-campus: RMB1500-2500 (~US $250-420) for a one-bedroom apartment per month excluding utility fee.
The in-city public bus service costs RMB 1-2 per person per trip. Taking a taxi costs RMB 8 for the first 3km and RMB 2 for every extra km plus a fuel surcharge subject to updated local policies.
Academic expenses (e.g., books, stationery) – Comparable to the cost in USA.
Personal expenses – Approximately RMB 1200 (~US $200) per month.
Please visit our Admissions Office website for further details.
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
Office of International Cooperation and Exchange
Prof. Xuemin Hong
Xiamen is a modern metropolis by the beautiful Xiamen Bay and a city with the homiest ambience in southeast China, facing Taiwan across the sea. The city is one of the five Special Economic Zones in China. An island of beautiful landscapes, Xiamen enjoys a mild, pleasant subtropical climate featuring warm winter and cool summer. Historically known as “Amoy” in the English-speaking world, Xiamen is the gateway to southeast China and a hub of cultural exchanges between China and the rest of the world. The city is nicknamed the “Island of Egrets”, for it is said to have been inhabited by egrets in ancient times. As an administrative region, Xiamen consists of six districts - Siming, Huli, Jimei, Haicang, Tong’an and Xiang’an, with a total area of 1,565 km2 and a registered population of three million.
The city has been awarded a string of honors, including the “UN Habitat Scroll of Honour” award, the “Nations in Bloom” award, and the “Exemplary Tourist City in China” award. Former U.S. President Richard Nixon hailed Xiamen as the “Hawaii of the East”. The integration of the long-standing indigenous Southern Fujian (Minnan) culture with modern Western culture has resulted in a unique cultural cityscape. The warmth and hospitality of local people, the unique local customs, and the cosy local lifestyles make Xiamen one of the world’s best places to live, study and work.
For more information, please visit the Xiamen Municipal Government website or the XMU Newsletter.